sábado, 28 de abril de 2012

Word Stress


RULES OF WORD STRESS

RULE # 1:  stress in two-syllable words:
Except for verbs, two-syllable words are usually stressed on the first syllable.
Examples: 1. answer
                       2. conduit
                       3. dealer

RULE # 2:  stress in words that end in –tion, -sion, and –cian:
For words that end in –tion, -sion, or –cian, the stressed syllable comes just before the –tion, -sion, or –cian.
Examples:  1. articulation
                        2. celebration
                        3. commission

RULE # 3: Stress in words that end in –ic and  –ical:
*For words that end in -ic, the stressed syllable comes just before the –ic.
* For words that end in –ical, the stressed syllable comes just before the –ical.
Examples: 1. analytic                    1. classical
                       2. anesthetic               2. ecumenical
                       3. energetic                 3. vertical

RULE # 4: Pronouncing two clear vowels together:
When two vowels are next to each other in a word, but in separate syllables, they are both clear. Usually, the second clear vowel has the stress, so it is longer.
Examples: 1. real
                       2. realign
                       3. society

RULE # 5: Stress in two-syllable nouns and verbs
When a two-syllable word can be used as a noun or a verb, the verb form is usually stressed on the second syllable.
Examples:     Noun                             Verb
                         1. confine                     confine        
                         2. conscript                 conscript
                         3. contact                     contact

RULE # 6: Stress in two-word verbs
Some verbs are made up of two words. These two-word verbs are commonly stressed on the second syllable.
Examples:     Noun                           Verb
                        1. letdown                     let down
                        2. shutout                    shut out
                        3. takeover                  take over

RULE # 7: Stress in compound nouns
English often combines two nouns to make a new word, called a compound noun. For example, the words “house” and “boat” can be combined to form a new noun. Compound nouns are pronounced as a single word, whit the stress on the first part.
Examples: 1.overpass
                       2.longtime
                       3. output



ACTIVITY

5 comentarios:

  1. I THINK RULERS 5 AND 6 WERE NOT REALLY CLEAR.
    I TRIED A CPUPLE OF TIMES AND I MADE MISTAKES.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I THINK RULERS 5 AND 6 WERE NOT REALLY CLEAR.
    I TRIED A CPUPLE OF TIMES AND I MADE MISTAKES.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I was trying to link those words but I dont know why match me wrong

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I was trying to link those words but I dont know why match me wrong

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I was trying to link those words but I dont know why match me wrong

    ResponderEliminar